Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Bikesharing in the New River Valley

Perhaps I'm onto something. I took a photo of this old-school bike sighted in Christiansburg June 15, 2015 near BT's bus stop no. 2202 Laurel/Sycamore Wbnd (Kmart) while visiting a bus stop we were preparing to have improved. This was long before we started contemplating a regional New River Valley bikeshare system. So today I started messing around with Instagram and used the photo as my profile photo, in the hopes of eventually having New River Valley bikeshare followers to communicate with. Today I also received a request to review a paper for the 2018 Transportation Research Board. 

Photo used in Paul DeMaio's 1st blog post
May 17, 2007
As I scanned the TRB paper I noticed one of the references was to Paul DeMaio's http://bike-sharing.blogspot.com/ which he started in 2007. His first posting included a photo of a bikeshare bike in a very similar position as the one I photographed earlier. Just a bit eerie I must say.  Here's to hoping bikeshare in the New River Valley launches soon and is as successful as bikeshare in Washington, D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment